Sunday, November 13, 2005

Chapter 25: Summary

We have become intimate. You could look through my eyes and see behind them for I have not hidden myself from you. There is a risk in this exposure, you might find me a fool searching for rainbows, or a bleeding heart with no plan to halt the flow of blood.
I am not a philosopher but I too search for the meaning of life. Some of the Crow say it is found in tomorrow’s sunrise. Stop and consider that, it is not simple but most profound. I tell you they are right, but we must all stand together to watch the sunrise, and we must hold hands - not placidly like sheep, but actively to make a difference.
We see that people just like us can be monsters, but people can also soar with the angels and find truth, beauty and justice. It can be found in ourselves as a spark within, and it is the force that defeats monsters. The world is in a state of change, and we can direct part of that. I suggest we try to match our deeds with our lofty American principles. We must accomplish something, rather than just moan and groan about the way things are, and together we have the power to do it.
We took a look inside BIA, where you saw evidence of major fraud and conspiracy to conceal it. You shared my shame and agony at what we found there, and perhaps you cried with me at man’s destruction. I know that I cried, and it is easier when we hold hands and cry together.
You know about the Eagle whistle I carry, and you are forming opinions in those areas that are part of the mission I will ask you to join. You were at my side when I went to confront BIA’s Area Director with the Whistleblower Award. It was a small thing, but still a victory for all of us. The problem is, that right now, the same individuals and philosophy are still in charge at BIA, and it is politics as usual in Washington, DC
You have been with me in Indian Country. You heard my oration to the Children of Plenty Coups, and you were welcome in places most people never see. We sat in Indian Councils, we shared the pipe with Crow leaders, and your spirit joined mine to dance with the Elders.
You witnessed my shame in going to a place of the poor for charity food, and you met the monster where my strength of character failed and my knees buckled under the load of destruction and ruin, and I ran for California. I hope you again cried with me. I gave in for a time and ran away, but after recovering strength I came back to Montana to continue this fight for justice.
And you came with me, the lone white man at an all night Indian celebration where we heard the Crow drum, the lovely voices of the women and the ancient high cry. We were at Prior Sundance where casual tourists don’t go, and the Sundance Priest came out of the lodge to shake hands with us, and I put my arms around Eddie Round Face.
For me there was high adventure, more than many people find in a lifetime, and I hope you were intrigued by what I could tell you about that. My relationship with Indian people is not all described in this book, since much is personal and beyond description, or the report would violate the privacy of friends. I am treated with special kindness and I will not violate the trust of friends to entertain you or to sell a book.
Try to put yourself in my shoes. By this time I had spent eight years struggling for justice for myself and for Indians against overwhelming odds. I was dead broke, with a ruined career and running on empty, trying to survive poverty. That means a cold house with the gas heat disconnected, and constant threats from creditors and IRS about overdue bills and taxes I simply could not pay. Poverty is relative, and many are much worse off than me, but still I believe I did not deserve ruin.
After following every avenue open to me I was no closer to justice, and friends and family urged me to give up and try to recover some life for myself. This book goes beyond our political system to appeal directly to you. If you care about decency and justice, please hear my plea.
Together we have taken an inside look at BIA, and what we found should disgust you. You’ve seen how BIA and other Federal agencies suppress justice and destroy people in return for political patronage and an implied license to steal from Indians.
BIA Individuals:
Richard Whitesell’s abuse of Indians does not demonstrate respect for humanity, his oath of office to the Constitution, or BIA’s mission statement. He should be accountable for the acts of his subordinates. Whitesell was promoted and transferred to BIA headquarters in Washington, DC, then returned to his post as Area Director, which makes me cringe. In September, 1994, he retired and will receive generous federal benefits for the rest of his life. It’s not cream that rises to the top within BIA!
His Assistant Area Director Joe Gourneau put a stamp of approval on the suppression of honesty. He approved retaliation against Julie Matt and myself, intimidated both of us, and refused legitimate appeals. He continues on the Federal payroll.
And what about Rodney Young, who worked a fraud to whitewash the facts, and Jim Parris, the CPA who supervised his work. They thrive with continued BIA employment. BIA supports those who are kissy-kissy and sell their souls, which is the mirror image of many of our federal politicians.
Where was the moral fiber of David Pennington? He changed the minutes of his committee meeting to defeat honest words, and that fraud harmed innocent Indian people and taxpayers alike. He is well paid by BIA and continues as a department head.
Bill Benjamin had the central role. He did repeated and deliberate harm to fellow employees and to helpless Indian trust beneficiaries. He is still Financial Manager - but has been promoted and rewarded. Instead of being at the Billings Area Office, he is now in charge of BIA’s Financial Management, at the “Central Office West,” in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He receives a substantial federal check each payday.
Bill Ellingson (Benjamin’s assistant) is active in his church, and knows the difference between right and wrong. He tightened the noose to make Julie Matt squirm and in my case cooperated with reprisal. He is Budget Manager for the Billings Area Office.
It still is business as usual at BIA, Indians are not free to manage their own affairs, and federal officials have massive power but are immune from their misdeeds. Revenge is petty and selfish, and simple damage control is not enough. We have to reform the basic climate and structure of government, you will soon be exposed to the plan for that, and you will be asked to take part in it. You then will become part of this story, as we strive together for freedom and justice. That’s where we are headed.

No comments: